|Announcement of Fourth Certificate Course
Orientation Course on Accelerators, Lasers and related Science and Technologies (OCAL)
Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology (RRCAT), Indore is a unit of the Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India, engaged in R&D activities in the front-line research areas of accelerator science, laser science, related technologies and applications.
As a part of the Public Outreach Programme of RRCAT, the Centre conducts every summer a certificate course titled "Orientation Course on Accelerators, Lasers and related Science and Technologies (OCAL)" every year for 8 weeks during the months of May to July. In this series, OCAL-2015, OCAL-2016 and OCAL-2017 have been successfully organised at RRCAT, Indore, which were attended by about 120 post-graduate students in total from all over India.
The details of the Fourth Orientation Course (OCAL-2018) are as follows:
The Fourth Orientation Course, OCAL-2018, will be held at RRCAT, Indore during the period May 21, 2018 to July 13, 2018.
The Orientation Course is structured to impart the students, a sound conceptual knowledge, as well as experimental training, in the front-line research areas in accelerators, lasers, and related technologies. The course will consist of classroom lectures, visits to various RRCAT laboratories, practical training in the form of hands-on experiments, and talks by eminent scientists and technocrats.
Towards the end of the course, the students will be examined for the grasp of course content and their performance in the hands-on experiments. Certificates will be awarded to all students who complete the course and perform satisfactorily in the examinations.
The course is open to all students who would be completing the penultimate year (i.e. the year before the last year) of the following postgraduate degrees by May-June 2018
- M.E. / M.Tech. in one of the following branches: Electronics, Electronics and Instrumentation, Electronics and Communications, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, Instrumentation Engineering, Nanotechnology, Engineering Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Metallurgical Engineering, Laser and related areas, Applied optics, Opto-electronics, Opto-electronics and optical communication) or
- M.Sc. in Physics or
- Integrated M.Sc. (Physics) / M.S. (Physics) or integrated M.E. /M.Tech. course in one of the above mentioned branches.
Selection procedure: The students will be selected for OCAL-2018 based on a short essay and their academic record. The topic of essay this year is "Status of applications of Accelerators and Lasers in India". The length of the essay should be between 800 to 1000 words. The students should upload the essay along with the on-line application certifying that it is written in original by him/her. In addition to the essay, the students should have secured minimum 60% marks in the bachelor’s degrees and in the completed semesters of post graduate degree. In the case of integrated post graduate courses, the student should have secured minimum 60% marks in the completed semesters.
Only Indian nationals are eligible to apply for this course.
Financial support :
The students selected for the Orientation Course will be provided free lodging and boarding at RRCAT Guest House & Hostels Complex. In addition, they will also be given a monthly stipend of ~ Rs. 1500/- (at the rate of Rs. 50/- per day). The students completing the Course will be eligible for the above financial support based on their attendance and performance. II class (sleeper) train fare by the shortest route, from the place of their present institute of study / residence, to Indore and back, will be reimbursed on production of the tickets.
How to Apply:
Only On-line Applications shall be accepted.
The procedure to apply on-line is given below:
In case of any difficulty in the on-line application procedure, please write to email@example.com for help.
- Fill the Application Form.
- Upload your latest passport size photo in JPG format.
- Upload the other required documents in PDF format.
- Mark sheets of UG and completed semesters of PG courses
- Recommendation letter from your HoD
- Document regarding CPI/CGPA conversion to equivalent percentage - if applicable
- Certificate regarding awaited result -if applicable
- Take print-out of the completed form and sign it.
- Upload the scanned copy of completed signed application form in PDF format.
Please preserve the originals of the following two documents with you for any future verification:
Applicants may kindly note the following:
- Signed application form (scanned copy of which has been uploaded)
- Letter of Recommendation (scanned copy of which has been uploaded)
- No paper copy of the application is required to be posted.
- Application complete in all respect will only be considered. Any missing information/ document may render the application liable for rejection.
- It is mandatory to upload the scanned copy of signed application form.
- All uploaded scanned documents should be easily readable.
|Last Date for applying on-line
||: 30th March 2018
Names of the selected students will be announced on the RRCAT website.
Note:The students desirous of carrying out 6 to 12 months project at RRCAT for partial fulfillment of their degree, apart from OCAL-18, may visit the website: http://www.rrcat.gov.in/hrd/advt/project.html. The project work will start soon after OCAL-18, without any break.